Friday, May 27, 2011

Zombie Film Review!

Allow me to begin this post by stating that I am not a professional film critic. Very often I completely miss the subtle complexities that the director or writer has painstakingly woven into his or her work. And, I'm not one for drama, or storytelling thru endless hours of mono-toned dialogue.

I like action...I like horror....I like suspense, and I especially love the hero's sacrifice in a hail of gunfire... and I got all those things in the french zombie film, THE HORDE.

Basically, a group of cops with questionable records ambush a gang of vicious thugs in a dilapidated apartment building. The ambush backfires and they find themselves captives.....and that's when the end comes. Not the end of the film....the end of the world as they know it.

Zombies (runners, not shufflers) surround the building and try to get inside, and the "cops and robbers" find the only way out is to work together.

I enjoyed this movie very much because it stepped on the gas immediately and never let up. Yes, they did catch a breather in a crazy old man's apartment, but it was only for a few minutes.

As in many zombie films, the cause of the infection is left unanswered, but for me personally, that's not a problem. In fact, I LIKE that. I feel it adds a bit of realism, in that if it happened for real....none of us would know what happened. Not knowing creates more panic and confusion which in turn, ups the fear.

And there was a LOT of gunfire, as a huge cache of insanely powerful weapons was "found" in the apt. managers closet. Typically, I don't care for "conveniences" in films about the undead, but I was able to overlook it because I'm a guy and I love to see people make that scared/confused/angry face while they blast away into the source of their impending doom.

I won't tell you which character makes the hero's sacrifice I mentioned earlier, but I will say I thought it was awesome. This one person goes head to head with waves of undead, fighting until the bitter end. I almost felt like saluting when that person was inevitably mauled to death.

There are survivors that make their way outside, where one is faced with a moral dilemma. I must say, the decision that person made surprised me.

So, to recap....I loved it. Go out and get it and check it out (it's available on netflix). I highly recommend it, but it's not in english, so if you hate subtitles then...well....forget I said anything.

Check out THE TRAILER here!!

Aim high. Run fast.

Brett

No comments:

Post a Comment